circus


Thursday, June 4, 2009

Berry Heaven

This morning Mayme, Vin and I went strawberry and blackberry picking. This was our first time to do this and Mayme and I agreed that it was fun to pick fruit when you didn't have to do the gardening. They said the strawberry season ended 3 weeks ago but there were still lots to choose from.



The blackberry season just started and they were abundant, although we quickly learned that we needed the leather gloves to protect us from the thorny limbs.





Vin sat in his stroller and enjoyed eating the berries as fast as we picked them.




In addition to the berries you can also pick onions, squash, and tomatoes while in season. They have goats you can feed, hayrides and homemade ice cream and popsicles. I was very exited about the popsicles since I know Vin loves them and they were made from fresh berries. He was excited too but he was tired and he didn't understand why he couldn't hold it himself.


Once he allowed me to hold it he totally enjoyed himself as you can see by the juice running all over his body!


Ultimately we ended up with 2 pounds of strawberries and 4 pounds of blackberries. I made blackberry cornmeal poundcake muffins and homemade shortbread for the strawberries. I got to bake for 3 hours. What a treat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boy looks different since it's been about 5 days since I've seen him. I'm glad he and his mommie had a good time on vacation.

teri

Wendy P said...

We have a place kind of like that in Arlington - no animals or popsicles, though.

Looks like y'all are having a wonderful time! Kam - cute hair.

JS said...

Sooo yummy... we miss you!

-Lourdes