circus


Friday, September 11, 2009

Major Flashback Friday

We cleared out the attic last night and I've been sorting through it today. The historian in me saves lots of stuff and this drives Teri crazy. The attic was filled with 4 things 1)winter clothes 2)my fabric scraps 3)Christmas decorations & 4)my memorabilia. Teri found a box that was simply labeled "paper junk" which means it was letters, magazine pages, birthday cards and "paper junk".

Here are a few of my favorite finds of the day.


Many of you have heard this story on occasion. It's one of my dinner party favorites when the conversation gets a little dull. Here's the picture to verify this tall tale. When I was in college in Amarillo I lived in a 1930's hotel along with a great mix of college kids and the elderly . One night the clothes dryer caught on fire and caused a 3-alarm fire. The fire could've been caused by my overloading the machine with quarters so that I could watch Letterman longer with my cousin Shea.

The Amarillo Globe News article said this, "The late hour and thick smoke from the blaze appeared to have confused many residents... At least four residents retreated to the buildings roof to escape the fire. 'I heard people outside screaming and yelling said Cinnamon Abbott a 5th floor resident who said she fled downstairs to the third floor but was turned back by smoke... About 15 trucks including two ladder trucks and 45 firefighters responded to the blaze. Red Cross officials were also on hand to aid victims of the fire."

A membership card to the Twilight Club in Quanah Texas. A hole in the wall joint on the road from Amarillo to Dallas.



We have precious few pictures of Teri's childhood so these were a great treat!





This is the front and back of a picture take in 1986 at Hands Across America. I've scanned the back so that you could see how my mother labeled EVERY picture. Names, ages, and dates are on every single picture the woman owns. Needless to say the historian in me loves her for this but where did she find the time?




A Chili's promotional brochure circa. 1996. They held a casting call and I got the job. When Teri and I say we are a Chili's family we aren't kidding. I worked there for 10 years and Teri and I met while waiting tables.


This is a famous Kam & Wendy picture. Wendy calls us the deranged camp counselors. I'm sure she'll post a comment about this night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that I can't sit still for very long without doing something, so at night while watching tv I would lable the pictures. Great memories of the fire when you forgot to tell me and I had to hear about it at work. Love Mom

Wendy P said...

Shockingly I don't remember too much about that night! I cannot believe you posted that pic. And we do look like deranged camp counselors - although I think Amy said that first.

I can't believe I've never seen that Chili's promo - that's awesome! And Teri - ADORABLE.

Tara said...

These flashback posts are AWESOME! I totally didn't recognize Wendy in that picture. However, that first one of Teri looks exactly like her! More than the second one. Wonderwoman Underoos!!!! I totally had those same ones!