circus


Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Spirit

The De Leon’s are caught up the Christmas Spirit already. We spent the weekend decorating the front yard, buying our tree and celebrating with friends. In truth I started decorating the house about two weeks ago.


Yes, yes I know I’m a bit ridiculous but Vin was at Mayme’s and so I took advantage of the time to get my garland hung in the house but then I did the unthinkable last week… I suggested that we get a fake tree. It seemed logical at the time. They are cheaper and easier than the “real thing”, the only thing you’re missing is the smell which can be achieved with either candles or live wreaths. Teri was adamantly opposed to the idea, she grew up with fake trees and only started getting a live one once we were together. I didn’t press the issue but my main argument was the way our tree was obtained. Teri and I usually go to the Home Depot and choose a tree from the hundreds they have piled up. Needless to say this is NOT the Christmas tree experience I want our kids to have.
When I was growing up we always went to the Boy Scout Troop 80 tree lot in Amarillo (FYI this is their 50 year anniversary). We would go to out to dinner, usually to Paradise Too and then get our tree. It was a real outing, a tradition, and I wanted our children to have something similar. So on Saturday Teri and I went to the Wall Family Tree Farm in Terrell Texas. It was the experience I was looking for, they had cider, popcorn, & cookies, live wreaths and mistletoe. We rode to the trees fields on a flat bed trailer full of hay and then walked around to choose our tree. I think it was more fun for Vin and I since we did not have to cut down the tree or drag it back to the trailer but Teri did a great job. She even secured it to her Pathfinder by herself and we made it all the way back to Dallas driving on the highway. Our only problem occurred when we forgot it was on the car and pulled into the carport. A loud crash ensued and then we both died laughing!! It reminded us of the U-Haul incident on New Year’s Eve 2001 in Pookeepsie NY, and if you don’t already know this story ask us sometime – it’s a keeper. Here's a few pictures of our tree adventure.




We finished up our weekend with dinner with the Northcutt’s, Teri made a delicious chicken dish with sautéed garlic spinach and Israeli cous cous. We hope to have a spirit filled, relaxing December full of friends, memories, and meals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The decorations look great!! I am not doing any at home because hopefuly I won't be there at Christmas! Tara