circus


Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Yea! August of O-V-E-R

Finally that dreadful month of August is over! Do you know how many posts I’ve seen today with people welcoming September with open arms? A bunch! I used to like August, probably because it’s my birthday month and the start of a new semester but I’ve come to dread August in recent years and this one was particularly hard, here’s why…

Of the 4 weeks or so, the boys were out of school for 3 of those. Normally this would be fine but during their weeks off, they each had a surgery and a period of recovery. For Vin with the tonsils this was ROUGH. We were not at all prepared for how difficult this was on all of us. He was in pain, didn’t sleep, cried when he had to take his medicine, which was Lortab every 4 hours for a week and a half, along with ibuprofen every 6 hours. Thus we never slept more than 4 hours at a time during his recovery while also still getting up to feed Reese. Woo Wee, ROUGH!

During this time I also wrapped up a semester of 2 classes, had finals week, processed the grades etc. then turned around 2 weeks later and started a new semester with 8 classes. There was little or no vacation from school this month and certainly not enough time to prep while the kids were home. I’m still in the weeds.

As of today the pool construction has begun. This after countless meetings with pool designers, bank refinancing and loan officers. Seriously this took forever to get worked out, not to mention the amount of paperwork that needed to be gathered. Pool glitch #1 – We have overhead electrical wires that had to be buried. This entailed coordinating with the pool builders, the electricians, the City of Dallas and the Electric company. Trenching the backyard and going through about a three week process, coordinating these 4 offices with permits, inspectors etc. etc. etc.

Did I mention how HOT it is? How about the fact that the City of Dallas was designated as a “State of Emergency” because of West Nile Virus. It’s not so scary for adults but for one kid and one infant who just had surgery, thus had comprised immune systems - this was scary stuff.

Toughest part though… My sweet wife is in Costa Rica for what we thought was 7 days which has turned into 12. Ugh… hurry home honey!

Bright spots in the month:
Happy – healthy kids again!
Reese is now smiling all the time, sitting up and rolling over.
I had a great birthday weekend!
We had an awesome weekend with the Perdue’s last weekend as we celebrated Wendy’s birthday. This included cake and bacon for breakfast – I highly recommend!
Kids dance party in the driveway.
Vincent buying me a “rainbow ring”. Oh so sweet that I cried.
Fun trip to Llano for Labor Day.Pictures coming soon.
The pumpkins and tomatoes survived the heat.

Ok, now that that’s off my chest I can start enjoying fall. For me and my house, summer is officially over.

No comments: