circus


Thursday, September 18, 2008

Big Decisons


This week I made the decision to stop pursuing my Ph.D. Teri said she had been waiting for me to come to this conclusion. My logic behind this decision revolves around time. I do not want to spend up to three hours a day or more reading and writing papers while my son is in daycare. When I look into our future and consider that there will be at least two more children coming it doesn't make sense to continue going to school. Time will only become more scarce and I don't want to miss any of their childhood moments, big or little.
Once the decision was final I felt so good! I love school, and I love being a student but I was at least 8 years away from finishing this degree. I can always go back and finish later but for now I want to focus on my baby and my family.
Besides, I've learned more in the past four months than I have in my entire academic career. Here are just a few...
  • Baby wipes can be used for all kinds of things, like cleaning your dashboard at a stoplight.
  • Red lights are my worst enemy since Vin wants to me in constant motion while riding in the car.
  • Burp cloths can double for a cocktail napkin when needed.
  • Christmas carols make good lullabies, my favorite is Silent Night
  • A baby's laugh is the sweetest noise in the entire world
  • Fingernails are for picking baby noses
  • The greatest power of one's breasts is not getting out of speeding tickets but rather the power to calm a screaming baby in an instant. Amazing!
  • I find breastfeeding, folding baby clothes and washing bottles immensely satisfying, and couldn't be prouder of my ability to nourish Vin into his healthy 15 lb. little self.
  • Lastly, although feminism has taught me that I can do it all, I'm choosing not to.


1 comment:

Cassie Butt Beckwith said...

Awe, you two look so happy. I can't get over how cute he is! You look great too of course. We can't wait to see you guys at Christmas! Our babies can sit and stare at eachother and maybe baby talk to one another.